My name is Rui Carlos Gonçalves and this is my webpage. I'm 35 years old and I live in Berlin. Currently I'm a Software Engineer at Groupon.
From August 2016 to December 2018, I was a Software Engineer at LeanXcale, where I worked on the design and development of a large scale distributed database, with focus on improving performance and scalability of analytical workloads.
I was also a researcher at HASLab (INESC TEC). I was part of the Distributed Systems group, and my research work was focused on large scale analytical query processing systems, and it was developed mainly in the scope of LeanBigData European project.
In April 2015, I finished my PhD at MAP-i (doctoral program in Computer Science). My work was developed in the context of DxT, GAsPar and PRIA projects, and focused on the development of a conceptual framework to encode knowledge used by domain experts when building high-performance libraries and applications. During the periods of March–August 2011 and March–August 2012 I was a visiting scholar at the University of Texas at Austin.
Before, I studied Mathematics and Computer Science at Universidade do Minho, where I got my BSc degree in December 2008. During this time, I was a collaborator on AspectGrid, and PPC-VM projects.
- Boyan Kolev, Oleksandra Levchenko, Esther Pacitti, Patrick Valduriez, Ricardo Vilaça, Rui C. Gonçalves, Ricardo Jiménez-Peris, Pavlos Kranas. Parallel Polyglot Query Processing on Heterogeneous Cloud Data Stores with LeanXcale. Big Data '18: Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE International Conference on Big Data, pp. 1757–1766, 2018.
- Rui C. Gonçalves, Don Batory, João L. Sobral, Taylor L. Riché. From software extensions to product lines of dataflow programs. Software & Systems Modeling, 16(4), pp. 929–947, 2017.
- Rui C. Gonçalves, Don Batory, João L. Sobral. ReFlO: An Interactive Tool for Pipe-And-Filter Domain Specification and Program Generation. Software & System Modeling, 15(2), pp. 377–395, 2016.
- Rui C. Gonçalves, José Pereira, Ricardo Jiménez-Peris. An RDMA Middleware for Asynchronous Multi-stage Shuffling in Analytical Processing. DAIS '16: Proceedings of the 16th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems, pp. 61–74, 2016.
- Diogo T. Neves, Rui C. Gonçalves. On the Synthesis and Reconfiguration of Pipelines. ARCS '15: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Architecture of Computing Systems – Workshops, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Rui C. Gonçalves. Parallel Programming by Transformation. PhD Thesis, Universidade do Minho, 2015.
- Rui C. Gonçalves, João L. Sobral, Don Batory, Taylor Riché. Reengineering Product Lines of Dataflow Programs. Technical Report TR-14-01, The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Computer Science, 2014.
- Don Batory, Rui C. Gonçalves, Bryan Marker, Janet Siegmund. Dark Knowledge and Graph Grammars in Automated Software Design. SLE '13: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Software Language Engineering, pp. 1–18, 2013.
- Taylor L. Riché, Rui C. Gonçalves, Bryan Marker, Don Batory. Pushouts in Software Architecture Design. GPCE '12: Proceedings of the 11th ACM International Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering, pp. 84–92, 2012.
- Rui C. Gonçalves, João L. Sobral. Modular and Non-Invasive Distributed Memory Parallelization. MISS '12: Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Modularity In Systems Software, pp. 33–38, 2012.
- Taylor L. Riché, Don Batory, Rui Gonçalves, Bryan Marker. Architecture Design by Transformation. Technical Report TR-10-39, The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Computer Science, 2010.
- Rui C. Gonçalves, João L. Sobral. Pluggable Parallelization. HPDC '09: Proceedings of the 18th ACM International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, pp. 11–20, 2009.
- Edgar Sousa, Rui C. Gonçalves, Diogo T. Neves, João L. Sobral. Non-Invasive Gridification through an Aspect-Oriented Approach. Ibergrid '08: Proceedings of the 2nd Iberian Grid Infrastructure Conference, pp. 323–334, 2008.
- Quantum computing simulationWorkshop on Quantum Materials and Quantum Technologies, September 2016
- CumuloNimbo: A Cloud Scalable SQL DatabaseEncontro Técnico Porto Linux, July 2016
- An RDMA Middleware for Multi-stage Asynchronous Shuffling in Analytical ProcessingInternational Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems (DisCoTec), June 2016
- Design by Transformation: Encoding Domain Knowledge to Derive Optimized Program ArchitecturesUniversidad Jaume I, November 2012